Periodontitis is a severe infection of the gums. It generally occurs due to bacteria that collect around your teeth and gums. And they can destroy your soft tissues too. It can also damage your alveolar bone which renders support to your teeth if left untreated. This, in turn, may result in a chance of stroke, heart attack, or other health complications. The term Periodontitis means inflammation around the tooth. Periodontitis can lead your teeth to loosen and ultimately it may cause tooth loss.
Symptoms of Periodontitis
- Gums may turn puffy or swollen
- Frequent gum bleeding
- Gums may convert to bright red, dusky red, or even purplish color
- Bad breath is generated
- You may notice pus between your teeth and gums
- Whenever you chew something, you may feel pain
- Loosen teeth and ultimately loss of teeth
- You may feel weird while you bite down
We are aware of the fact that our mouths are always loaded with bacteria. Scientific studies state that the birth of Periodontitis actually starts with plaque. Plaque is basically a kind of gluey, colorless structure or layer. It is composed of bacteria together with mucus and a vast range of food debris. You gotta visit the dentist without any delay because plaque slowly hardens to transform into tartar and finally progresses into Periodontitis!
How Is Gum Disease Treated?
The chief purpose of gum treatment is to stop the infection. And the treatment is also given in order to strengthen the bonding of healthy and pink gums to your teeth.
The number and level of treatment may differ from patient to patient since it depends on –
- The extent of the gum infection
- How good you have responded to your previous treatment methods
- Your overall health status
Treatment options include non-surgical methods that help to reduce the growth of bacteria. However, there are surgical processes as well which help to restore supportive tissues. The periodontist will minutely and thoroughly clean the pockets around your teeth to stop the damage around your surrounding bone. He/she will address your issues and then create an appropriate treatment plan.
Prevention and Care
You need to take good care of your teeth and gums by practicing healthy oral habits –
- Brush your teeth twice on a daily basis for at least two minutes
- You gotta floss at least once daily
- Wash your mouth with a good antibacterial mouth rinse, but of course with the dentist’s recommendation
- Try to follow a perfectly balanced diet
- Quit smoking and try not to take any kind of pressure and stress
- Never skip your regular dental visits for cleanings, particularly after every 6-12 months.
Get the Help you need!
You can get in touch with Manvel Dental & Implant Center if you want to receive the best gum disease treatment in Manvel, TX. Our Dentist in Manvel will check your condition and can create the appropriate treatment plan so that you can achieve healthy gums and also a clean mouth.